Friday, January 25, 2008

Why did it take me so long??

So after 2 and a half years, I decide to start writing in a blog. Luckily, I will not bore you with all of my exciting stories and amazing adventures that I have had (because if you ask me about it, sometimes I just freeze up and forget). So I will just update you on the happenings of my life, the excitement of Haiti, and my plans for the future.

In the past two weeks...we have been busy! Living in Haiti, my life has quite roughly adjusted to not having lots of things to do, places to go, pretty much not having a consuming schedule. But, we have been busy unloading the boat with all of our supplies and Christmas presents for the kids, unpacking our crates, report cards...and now things have started to settle down a bit.

Sorting Christmas presents for our students can be somewhat stressful, but this year was actually really easy! Pretty much, sponsors decide to send down gifts for their sponsor students...and then we add gifts to those who may not have a gift. One of my favorite things to see is opening up a present for a child, and it having a big bag of candy with a sweet note that talks about sharing with your friends. And the excitement on my students faces...what an amazing time...

My students...I wish that I could remember every funny moment...But thats impossible!! Two of my students, Tracy and Ted, have found out that I know the movie High School Musical. So sometimes, while they are working, I hear a "pssstt...Miss Ashley. Do you know this song?" And I will then be serenaded with one of the many songs from the movie. Ted also likes to tell me all about Hannah Montana (his favorite show...he has satellite) and Tracy asked me yesterday if I liked to watch BET. You can tell which of my children are a little bit blessed!!!

As most of you know, I have found a new favorite hobby...hiking and exploring around Port-de-Paix with my friends. Last Friday, Allison and I went for a walk and it turned out to be an adventure! We first went to visit her maid who just had a sweet little baby, and while we were there, the rain began to pour! We waited, and when it had stopped, we decided to start walking again, and for the next little bit we were rained on! We tried hard not to slip on the mud (which is usually inevitable when it comes me!) One of the most amazing things on our walk was the invitations that we received to come into houses and wait for the rain. In one area, every house seemed to invite us in...and not just because we were white! God's love shines through so many people...would we ever really feel comfortable inviting a stranger into our house to wait for the rain to end...and would we ever accept an invitation like that?

4 comments:

Melinda said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Melinda said...

I love the blog!!!! Keep writing!!!!!

Melinda

supermommysquared said...

I am so glad you are blogging! Add me to your blogroll! Love you!
ps this is Heather :)

Kim said...

Yea! Welcome to the blogosphere. It's kind of fun. I'm sure that you will be much better about writing on yours than I am on mine!

Miss you and love you! I've made us reservations for the best restaurant in Seattle. You're going to love it! Of course, I'm kidding...but I wish I weren't. I wish you really were here!

Keep blessing the world!