Friday, February 22, 2008

Ti Paul (or Ti John...)

Walking is one of my favorite activities in Haiti. I have become a huge fan of getting out, getting fresh air, exercise, and just being with some of my favorite friends.
We walk many different paths, but there is one path that takes us past a place where a boy named Ti Paul lives. Ti Paul (which means Little Paul) is physically and mentally handicapped, and one of my favorite people to see on our walk. He gets so excited to see us, especially when we start speaking to him! Once when we went walking, I was loving on him, hugging on him, and out of excitement, he bit me (not very hard), under my arm. As shocking as it was, I knew this was his way of showing how much he loved us giving him attention.
There aren't schools or homes for people with special needs to go to, and so I shudder at the fact that I am not sure what happens to these special people.
Yesterday, Allison, Cady, and I went for a walk. We walked past Ti Paul's house, and he seemed happy to see us, but hesitated in stumbling up the side of the hill. We finally coaxed him up just to talk to him, and he was so happy that he didn't even mention that I called him the wrong name (I kept calling him Ti John!) His excitement and love is what I hope I have always for my students and the people around me, whether I am in Haiti or in the States...(I promise though, that I won't bite!)

1 comment:

ecasimir said...

I loved reading this. I have a special passion for the special needs kids in Haiti. Maybe when I am there we could go on a walk to visit this special little boy!